Neptune Theatre is Atlantic Canada’s premier destination for live, professional theatre. Our roots are deep in this region. Proudly celebrating our Diamond 60th Anniversary, Neptune is committed and connected to our local community. Our values are grounded in the belief that the power of live theatre can transform and connect. With a mindful and inclusive approach, we are committed to bringing stories that represent the history and diversity of our region and its people to life on our stages.
Statement of Intention
Neptune Theatre seeks to promote equity, inclusion, and access by amplifying voices and stories that have been historically marginalized or underrepresented, and we factor this into every decision we make. We encourage submissions from individuals of all genders, ethnicities, abilities, and identities, and will give scheduling priority to those who self-identify as IBPOC, LGBTQ2S+, d/Deaf, living with disabilities, and/or facing other systemic challenges in our industry. Applicants should be aware that Neptune does not tolerate any form of harassment or discrimination of its employees, patrons, partners and volunteers, or any persons visiting or spending time on its premises. We are committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities at any stage of the hiring process.
Accountable to the Board, the Executive Director works in partnership with the Artistic Director to promote and realize the Theatre’s strategic vision and to lead and manage the Theatre. The Executive Director is responsible for the Theatre’s operations, including administration, audience outreach, strategic business planning, and fundraising.
Priorities for the Executive Director
The Executive Director’s Year 1 priorities are:
- With the Board and Artistic Director, design and facilitate the development of a new strategic plan for Neptune that is ready to be actioned in summer/fall 2023 to guide 2024/25 budget and playbill.
- Ensure Neptune is staffed and operated within the budget parameters outlined in the 2023/24 budget including optimizing staff engagement and staffing vacant positions.
- Develop and execute marketing/partnership plans that support the financial success of 2023/24’s program and, in collaboration with the Artistic Director, ensure that audience participation supports budget and production targets
- Strengthen and optimize funder, fundraising and donor engagement and stewardship
- With the Artistic Director, develop a 2024/25 budget and playbill that are aligned with the new strategic plan
The Executive Director’s Year 2 & 3 priorities are:
- With the Artistic Director, develop budgets/playbills (2024/25 and 2025/26) that align with the new strategic plan and realize the objectives set out in that plan.
- Develop and execute a marketing and partnership development strategy that supports and reflects the artistic objectives of the Theatre and builds audience base to support the growth and sustainability of the Theatre
- Develop and implement a multi-year financial plan that sees Neptune operate sustainably, eliminate its accumulated deficit, and reduce its mortgage.
Working in conjunction with the Artistic Director and the Board; lead the Theatre forward in the development and execution of a new strategic plan with a compelling vision that inspires and motivates staff, stakeholders, the theatre community, and the broader community.
Collaborate with Neptune’s Artistic Director to support the development and execution of the organization’s artistic vision and goals.
- Develop and implement measurable plans to improve Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Access in all aspects of the operation while addressing Neptune’s commitment to anti-oppression/anti-racism.
- Increase audiences and community engagement by creating, expanding and implementing an innovative and fresh approach to connecting with the broader community.
- In collaboration with the Artistic Director, ensure Neptune has the organizational structure and capacity to execute the strategic plan.
- Develop and foster a workplace culture that maintains the highest standards of excellence, equality, creativity, collaboration, inclusiveness, and fiscal, operational, and organizational integrity.
- Ensure compliance with labour, occupational health and safety and human rights standards.
In partnership with the Artistic Director, represent Neptune with key local, provincial, and national government officials, industry executives, strategic partners, donors, members, patrons, and other relevant sectors as a spokesperson.
- Establish a strong, collaborative, and respectful working relationship with the Chair and the Board of the Neptune Theatre Foundation to maximize the value of the Board to the organization
- Marketing, Communications, and Digital Strategy
- In collaboration with the Artistic Director and Manager of Marketing and Sales, oversee the creation of the overall marketing and communications strategy to ensure continued and expanding engagement with audiences and external communities.
- Alongside the Artistic Director, develop and implement strategies to ensure patrons, funders, donors, business/community leaders, elected officials and the public understand Neptune’s role, value, and contributions to the social, economic and cultural wellbeing of the province and the region.
Audience Development and Community Engagement
In support of the Director of Education and Manager of Marketing and Sales, lead Neptune’s overall strategies to develop audiences and engage with communities as outlined in the strategic plan and identify the appropriate metrics.
Provide leadership to the Box Office in developing and implementing a tactical plan to achieve the goals set out to secure budgeted results for subscriptions, single ticket and school sales using best practices and innovation to maximize the patron experience.
In collaboration with Neptune’s Director of Development and Partnerships, oversee and participate in fund development strategies ensuring alignment with the artistic vision and the strategic plan.
Secure a robust and diverse support base for Neptune by establishing, managing, and enhancing existing and new relationships with key sponsors and donors, including governments, to facilitate the creation of new and renewed sources of major gifts, sponsorships and grants.
Front of House
- Support the Senior Front of House Manager in hiring and training Neptune’s Front of House team.
- Develop and set goals for the organization to achieve in delivering world-class experiences for patrons.
- Ensure safety procedures and directives for the service of alcoholic beverages are compliant with relevant legislative and regulatory requirements.
- Ensure training manuals are reviewed and updated and the testing of evacuation procedures is conducted regularly.
- Financial Oversight
- Develop an overall financial strategy for the organization in consultation with the Artistic Director, Director of Finance and the Board to advance the strategic plan, the artistic vision, and any longer-term capital projects while ensuring financial sustainability.
- Assume responsibility of the direct fiscal management of the organization within the approved budget, ensuring optimized resource utilization, and maintaining a positive financial position including the management of cash flow and approval of capital expenditures and acquisitions.
- Provide leadership to Finance and Administration, ensuring sound financial structures, regulatory practices and accurate reporting systems are in place including preparing the audited financial statements.
- Working with the Artistic Director and senior management develop a business plan and an annual budget that advances the artistic vision and the strategic plan.
- Maintain sound financial management including financial reporting, forecasting and analysis, accurate cash flow projections and compliance.
Candidates who are interested in applying for this exciting leadership opportunity should send a cover letter outlining their interest along with a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org