Advocacy is of critical importance to ArtsLink and its members. We work had to ensure policy-makers understand the economic and social contributions of artists, as well as the challenges they face in living and working in New Brunswick.
Provincial Election: September 14, 2020
Find your riding and register to vote here.
2020 Provincial election advocacy document: Arts and Culture and the Provincial Election
Provincial Political Party Websites (arts and culture platforms to be announced):
New Brunswick Liberal Association: https://nbliberal.ca/
New Democratic Party of New Brunswick: https://nbndp.ca/
Green Party of New Brunswick: http://www.greenpartynb.ca/
Progressive Conservatives New Brunswick: https://www.pcnb.ca/
People’s Alliance of New Brunswick: https://www.peoplesalliance.ca/
Message from ArtsLink NB re COVID-19:
Artists, arts organizations and creative practices are being adversely impacted by COVID-19.
With events, gatherings and activities being cancelled in response to preventing the spread of COVID-19, it is important to think about people in the creative workforce who largely make their income from gigs and freelance work. They will be losing critical opportunities to support themselves.
Please consider donating the price of a ticket or spending money in places like artists’ online shops or Patreons to help mitigate the impact on their livelihoods.
Workers in the gig economy do not have access to the same social protection as traditional workers.
- Information Morning Saint John: “COVID-19’s impact on the creative class“Mar 19, 2019.
We present our members’ concerns at numerous discussions at the provincial, national and international levels, including: Maine-New Brunswick Cultural Initiative Taskforce (ongoing); New Brunswick Cultural Human Resources Transition Committee; New Brunswick Cultural Policy Renewal Roundtable (2012-2013); New Brunswick Cultural Industries Strategy Working Group (2013-2014); Arts Day at the Legislature (ongoing); Pre-budget consultations, attendance at provincial budget presentation (2012); The Premier’s Taskforce on the Status of the Artist (ongoing); Leaders’ Forum on Arts and Culture (2010); and preliminary discussions on the Premier’s Committee on the Socio-Economic Status of the Artist (2010-2011).
In this section you will find:
- 2018 Election Talking points
- ArtsDay 2017
- Candidates Forum How-to Guide
- 2016_Culture Sector Ecology: Infographic on New Brunswick’s culture infrastructure
Media and interviews:
- María José Burgos: “Centennial legacy lost“. CBC New Brunswick. Dec 2, 2020
- Information Morning Fredericton: “Centennial Art“. Dec. 2, 2020
- Information Morning Saint John: “ArtsLink presents Short & Sweet Speaker Series” Aug. 8, 2019
- Noushin Ziafati: “New multi-disciplinary art festival coming to N.B.“. Telegraph-Journal, 2019.
- Flavio Nienow: “N.B. Artists survey to build ‘stronger cases’ for funding“. Times & Transcript, 2019.
- Cherise Letson.” N.B. Arts Organization Doing Survey To Better Understand Arts And Culture Workforce” Huddle, Aug. 7, 2019
- Cherise Letson. “Arts Atlantic Festival and Conference Wants To Help N.B. Artists With Their Business” Huddle, July 30, 2019
- Sara Morin. “Large-scale art festival in the works for 2020 in Saint John“, CBC New Brunswick, Jul 28, 2019
- Information Morning Saint John: “Gathering of creatives, Arts Link NB festival 2020” July 26, 2019
- Information Morning Saint John: “Cross-Cultural Creation residency invites anglophone, francophone, Indigenous collaboration“, March 12, 2019
- Colin McPhail. “Students would reap rewards if arts weren’t ‘an optional thing’, new report says“, CBC New Brunswick, March 7, 2019
- Information Morning Saint John; Short+Sweet Speaker Series. Jul 31, 2018
- Mark Blagrave. A letter to Brian Kenny on Access Copyright. Mar 21, 2018
- Julia Wright. “What your kids learn in art class — and why it matters“, CBC New Brunswick, March 13, 2018
- Information Morning Saint John: “ArtsLink NB wants to get the picture of arts education in Anglophone schools“, March 13, 2018
- Information Morning Fredericton: “The importance of arts education in N.B.“, March 13, 2018
- Gillian Dykeman. “Arts were neglected in provincial budget“, Telegraph-Journal, February 10, 2018
- Gillian Dykeman. “Harnessing the Allure of the Arts“, Telegraph Journal, July 26, 2016
- “Making art more accessible“; CBC Information Morning- Saint John, August 11, 2016
- Cherise Letson. “N.B. Arts Accelerator Teaches Artists Business Chops“, Huddle, Aug. 21, 2017
- Cherise Letson. “Why Creativity Is Key To Boosting NB’s Economy“, Huddle, Aug. 21, 2017
- Cherise Letson. “N.B. Artists Missing Opportunities to Grow Using Readily Available Grant Money“, Huddle, Sept. 8, 2017