The Her Music Awards (Sponsored by Bandzoogle) are designed to celebrate and support female-identified Canadian mid-career music creators who are on the verge of taking their creative careers to the next level.
Applicants must submit an application through SOCAN Foundation’s application portal by the deadline.
Award Recipient(s) will be selected to receive a grant prize of up to CAD$5,000.00 each.
All genres of music are welcome. Eligible applications will be considered by a jury of prominent Canadian music creators selected by SOCAN Foundation, in consultation with Bandzoogle. Excellence demonstrated through Artistic Merit will be an overriding consideration in the adjudication, in addition to thoughtful demonstration of how the Award would help advance the applicant’s career. The jury’s decisions are final.
To be eligible to be considered for the Award, an applicant must:
- Self-identify as female;
- Be a citizen, landed immigrant or legal resident of Canada;
- Submit a complete application with all required supporting materials by the deadline, which includes, among other things, the following components (see application form in the online portal for more details):
- One original musical work written/composed entirely by the applicant within 3 years prior to the application deadline. Note: Works that were winning entries of past SOCAN Foundation awards, and arrangements, covers, mash-ups, remixes, adaptations and reinterpretations, etc., are not eligible for consideration.
- Proposal for how the grant prize would be used to advance their career or support the development of their career;
- Not have previously won any awards from SOCAN Foundation;
- Be a SOCAN member, or be eligible to become a SOCAN member if selected as a finalist for the Awards (that is, the applicant is not a member of any music performing rights organization at the time they are selected as an Award finalist).
- Not be a past or current board member or employee of SOCAN, SOCAN Foundation, Bandzoogle or any of Bandzoogle’s member organizations; and
- Have their parental/legal guardian sign the application and agree to the below Application Terms and Conditions on the applicant’s behalf, if the applicant will not have reached the legal age of majority in their province or territory of residence by the application deadline.
A group of individuals (such as a duo or a band) may apply for the Awards together as one applicant, but all individuals in the group must meet all the eligibility criteria above for the group to be eligible to be considered for the Awards. If selected as an Award recipient, the group will receive one award prize.
Full details are here.