THIRD SHIFT Public Art Projects — Saint John, N.B. Call for Proposals for Temporary Art Installations and Performance Deadline: Monday, May 1st, 2017
THIRD SHIFT Residency— Saint John, N.B. Call for Residency Proposals Deadline: Monday, May 1st, 2017
THIRD SHIFT is an annual night time exhibition of public contemporary art projects presented by Third Space, an itinerant artist-run centre for contemporary art located in Saint John, NB. Established in 2015, this event aims to offer Saint John residents a unique opportunity to reimagine their city, activate vacant and under-utilized areas and engage with the surroundings of the South Central Peninsula.
Participating artists reflect on the area’s cultural landscape and historic architecture to develop their projects and exhibit the works. THIRD SHIFT highlights the work of emerging and established artists who cross disciplines and boundaries in their examinations of contemporary culture. All activities established by THIRD SHIFT are free and open to the public. This year’s event will take place on Friday, August 18th from 7 pm – midnight.
Third Space Gallery is pleased to offer a two-week artist residency in conjunction with THIRD SHIFT. Artists may apply for the THIRD SHIFT Residency in addition to submitting a project proposal. One artist will be selected through this open call for submissions to spend two weeks, from August 4th to August 18th, developing a site-specific project for exhibition during THIRD SHIFT.
THIRD SHIFT 2017
Geographically, THIRD SHIFT takes place within unceded territory of the Wolastoqiyik, Mi’kmaq, and Passamaquoddy First Nations and in Canada’s first incorporated city. In acknowledgement of Canada’s 150th year of confederation, Third Space encourages artists to propose projects that investigate the relative conditions of time, transience, and occupancy within the context of this region’s past, present and future/alternative histories. Reflecting on THIRD SHIFT’s founding objective to reclaim under-utilized areas, we aim to critically engage with the concept of “vacancy” and the politics of re/claiming space as they relate to privilege and power in our society.
Third Space is seeking proposals from artists that reflect our objectives as an alternative, non-commercial, contemporary artist-run centre. We aim to present work that is exploratory, challenging and critical in nature. We encourage emerging and established artists to propose projects that have not yet been realized as well as investigations that have been started or completed elsewhere. Third Space encourages applications from people with diverse perspectives.
– Submissions will be reviewed and selected by a volunteer committee of Third Space members.
– Projects primarily of a commercial nature will not be accepted.
– Projects must be temporary or ephemeral in nature.
– Third Space will be paying selected artists an honorarium fee in accordance to the 2017 CARFAC fee schedule.
– Maximum two people per project submission.
– Third Space does not have the capacity to supply technical equipment, but will happily provide power sources and electrical cords.
– Third Space is unable to cover the costs of shipping materials.
– Additional project funding may be available for artists depending on Third Space Gallery’s available financial resources. Funding required must be outlined in your proposal.
– Third Space is unable to cover the cost of selected artists’ travel.
– THIRD SHIFT happens rain or shine! Projects must be adaptable to inclement weather.
– Submissions will be reviewed and selected by a committee of Third Space Gallery members.
– Proposed residency work must fit within the THIRD SHIFT project guidelines (see above).
– In addition to artist fees, selected projects will receive financial support for travel and accommodation. We are also happy to offer assistance with finding childcare when needed.
– Maximum one artist per residency.
Submissions should include:
– Project description
– Technical requirements
– Plan for installation
– Preferred location (general or specific)
– Possible safety concerns
– Artist statement (maximum 250 words)
– Maximum 10 images (JPEG, 300 dpi)
– Numbered image list, including title, medium, dimensions, year (where applicable) If including digital video and/or audio files (less than 5MG each) please include a Weblink.
Please send your proposals by e-mail to email@example.com
and identify your application with the subject line: THIRD SHIFT 2017 or THIRD SHIFT RESIDENCY 2017. If you wish to be considered for both, please send two applications.
If you have any questions about THIRD SHIFT or the THIRD SHIFT Residency, please contact Third Space’s Executive Director, Emily Saab at firstname.lastname@example.org