- This event has passed.
BREAKING DOWN RACIAL BARRIERS IN THE EAST COAST MUSIC INDUSTRY
September 14 @ 1:30 pm
One event on August 17, 2021 at 1:30 pm
One event on September 14, 2021 at 1:30 pm
The Breaking Down Racial Barriers (BDRB) initiative is facilitating a 4-part roundtable panel discussion on anti-Black racism in Canada’s East Coast music and entertainment industry. The series is presented by The East Coast Music Association (ECMA), in partnership with Cape Breton Music Industry Co-Operative (CBMIC), Music/Musique NB, MusicNL, Music Nova Scotia, Music PEI, alongside founding sponsor, The Canadian Independent Music Association (CIMA) with support from ANSMA (African Nova Scotian Music Association) and TD.
Initiated, curated and coordinated by Canadian music and entertainment community mainstays Ian Andre Espinet and David “Click” Cox, BDRB discussions are CENTRED in the voices and lived experiences of working Black music professionals. To build an inclusive, economically viable Canadian music and entertainment industry, it is critical to address the anti-Black racism that exists in the systems and working environments within which Black music professionals and creatives operate.
In an effort to advance equity in the region’s music industry, ECMA with the Atlantic music industry associations has supported the BDRB facilitated series to have difficult, yet critical, conversations in an effort to identify the structures and behaviours that perpetuate anti-Black racism.
Roundtables 1, 2 and 3 will address key areas of the entertainment industry and barriers faced by Black music professionals – with highlighted themes and key take-aways captured. The 4th and final roundtable will aggregate the findings to create ACTIONABLE suggestions for CHANGE which will be shared with peer & partner organizations and the wider community with the understanding that if embraced, can inform policies and practices that should be reformed.
BREAKING DOWN RACIAL BARRIERS ROUNDTABLE DATES:
PANEL 1: Friday May 28th 2021 | 1pm ADT | 1:30pm NDT [12pm EDT]| VIEW HERE
PANEL 2: Tuesday July 13th 2021 | 1pm ADT | 1:30pm NDT [12pm EDT] |Online [Register Here]
PANEL 3: Tuesday August 17th 2021 | 1pm ADT | 1:30pm NDT [12pm EDT] | Online [Register Here]
PANEL 4: Conclusions – Tuesday September 14th 2021 | 1pm ADT | 1:30pm NDT [12pm EDT] | Online [Register Here]
• Systemic & Systematic Racism
• The Economics of anti-Black Racism in the Entertainment Industry
• Anti-Black Racism in the Media & the Spaces that Create it
• Barriers faced by Black Event Producers: Agents, Access to Venues Event Spaces, Festivals & Sponsorship
• Anti-Black Racism in The Creative Space: From Creatives to Ad Agencies
• Challenges faced by Black Artists: Systemic & Systematic Barriers – Independent to Major Label
• Representation in the Corporate & Organizational Entertainment Industry: Record Labels, Streaming Companies & Industry Associations
• Retention & Succession: The Role of Education, Mentorship & Succession Planning in creating the next generation of Black Music Professionals; Hiring, Professional Advancement & Promotion w/i the Music Entertainment Industry
All sessions will be held online via Zoom, and are completely free to attend. For more information or to register for this free series, please visit ECMA.com.